January 3, 2008

Silver Lining, vol. 1

I expressed concern after my first day at this job.

The clouds:
You see, I am not the only "temporary" hire - there is another! And while he was placed with the most senior editor (someone thought I said "Monsignor Editor" - this will someday be what I call myself), I was placed with the second in command. Monsignor has taken Competition under his wing, showing him all the ropes, pulleys, trap doors, etc.
My mentor, on the other hand, told me he was pretty busy, on a deadline, and didn't really have anything for me to do, so maybe I should just go see what even-lower-on-the-food-chain wants. Okay! That guy didn't really have anything for me to do either, so I ended up helping a couple not-related-to-editing-at-all employees move, sort, and reorganize hundreds of tapes. Basically, I was learning how to count to 2000 while the other new guy was learning how to, y'know, edit?

The silver lining:
I know where all the tapes are, I'm on a friendly basis with the people who make day-to-day stuff work around there, and I am familiar to, and with, most everyone. Whereas I've only seen Competition sitting in the same room watching the Monsignor edit, and I've heard him call someone the wrong name. So I figure that if the time comes when one of us has to go, the same principle will apply as on a farm - once you name the little piggy and get used to its particular oink and they way it helps you organize tapes even though that's not its job, you just couldn't possibly turn it into bacon! In short: I'm Some Pig, he's one of those other animals in that book.

Disclaimer:
Competition is actually a really cool guy, I genuinely wish him the best and doubt that we won't both be hired in the end. He also happens to unintentionally be the Spitting Image of Ron Livingston's character in Office Space, right down to his voice and completely relaxed persona, and how could you not love that?

No comments: