January 6, 2008

My trifolded note to self says "ageism =)/i r not stupid/slower pace"
In order, then!

I'm beginning to realize I may have been hired partly because I graduated last year. This realization comes after at least half a dozen comments along the lines of, "oh, good, you can tell us if [our program aimed at college students] is hip and fresh." Little does anyone know I've been out of touch with my peers (heck, nearly the whole world) for decades now - I knew Weird Al's version of Smells Like Teen Spirit years before I ever laid ears on the original. I was able to reassure one writer, though, who was worried that an Are You Afraid of the Dark reference might be too obscure - I told him how all the 18- to 22-year-olds at my other job bring that shit up at least once a week.

Okay, so I am a little stupid, but some of the folk at the office are treating me as if I'm some recently-thawed relic of the Ice Age. "Com-pu-ter?" I suppose it's my fault for not being clearer about what pointin' and clickin' skills I possess, but when it comes to technology, it's difficult to give someone a synopsis of exactly what you are and aren't familiar with. As a result, more of my time than I would like is spent watching someone explain something to me that I am already more familiar with than they are. I simply can't figure out a way to stop these impromptu "lessons" without coming off like a complete douchebag, much like I do in this post.

Partly related to this overall theme of people assuming I'm going to be some incompetent chair-warmer is my sneaking suspicion that I'm working way too hard while I'm there. Almost every time I finish something, I'm met with incredulity and some kind of stuttering, "...well...I'll talk to someone and see if we can get something else for you to do..."
As an example, here's a nearly verbatim conversation:
"Hey, I finished capturing that footage."
"All of it??"
"Yeah"
"Everything??"
"Oh, uh, yeah, everything...I mean, everything in those packets you gave me."
"All the packets??"
"Y-yeah?"
"Really??"
And so on, including a thorough check of said packets to make sure I had truly written down and highlighted requested information. (By god, I had! But had I numbered the clips? It's very important that I number the clips...oh, I had, oh good.)
I mention this not to make myself out to be some super-industrious slice of perfection, but to say that I suspect many office workers adhere to some unspoken code that if it can be done in 2 hours, it can also be done in 8, and really, what's the rush?

I'd like to think that even if someday I'm paid vast fortunes to edit per hour, I'd rather work as quickly/efficiently as possible than try to stretch out the time spent in front of a computer, because even though Money = Freedom*, Freedom > Money.

*Disagree? Please leave a detailed comment!

I declare this meeting of the Midnight Society over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a big question. Why is there a large population of really slow,lazy people????? Conversely why are some people, like your self, happier when working at a steady rate and fulfilled when a job is completed quickly and efficiently???
Beat's me.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing Joe! I'd rather work fast and efficiently instead of dragging it out like a lazy worker. You're doing a great job! Hey, are you really getting paid for every time you update??