January 1, 2008

A junior again?

Tomorrow I start my first* day as an authentic, entered-in-the-payroll-system, key-holding, alarm-code-knowing, junior editor**.
*fourth actual day at the office
**Position permanence TBD.


I'll be working on who-knows-what in a dark cave of a room from 8-4.
There's one lamp, no windows, and a really nice computer with a decent chair in front of it.
The walls are patchworked with that paradoxical sound-absorbing foam; squishy and harmless yet threateningly pointed (like a pundit? no? ok). Despite that, I'll keep the door almost closed so as not to disturb anyone with the repetition one often hears from an editing station as different cuts/graphics/effects are tried and tried again. This, along with my terrible posture, should quickly turn me into some kind of a freakish pasty hermit.

I'm happy to have this job, and to be starting it with the New Year, so in the future I can easily calculate how long I've been there. I'm still not saving any lives, but I am definitely more interested in the work and paid more appropriately.
As a bonus, I heard about it from the professor of that class I took, which validates the investment only if I work beyond the initial trial month, which will pay for less than 2/3 of the course cost.

Now I should look to upgrade my previous job so that I'm not working 80 hours for 60 hours' pay.

I have also shamelessly stolen a debt-o-meter and added it to the right of this page so you can all play along at home as I hack away at my debt. Half of it was accrued by living jobless for 9 months in NYC and taking several trips, the other half by getting certified as a film editor and taking the LSAT + a prep course.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

454 words. Now you can deduct$4.54 from the debt-o-meter. Will pay in $100 increments. (The cheap phantom who could not have imagined you to be so wordy so went from 10 cents per word down to 1 cent)

Anonymous said...

ps: great news about the job and don't worry about the pasty look. You've always been on pale side.

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to worry that you would stop updating but I loved hearing about the great news. :) Good for you Joe!! This is awesome.

bakingkitty said...

congrats on the new job!!!!! cool meter thingy. sorry if I am partially to blame for the trips you mention. and wait, someone pays you for everything you write here?

Anonymous said...

Auld Lang Syne? that's what it's called?? happy new year and sincere congrats!!!!!

joeadultman said...

anon. - thanks!
bonnie - thanks!
laura - thanks! thanks for the trips too. and yes...shouldn't they?
chu - yup, you too, thanks!