January 23, 2008

Newz

I'm officially hired - junior editor!

I'm hoping to move up in the ranks sooner than later, and not just because "junior" sounds really terrible, but because I want to know everything there is to know.

My progress has been slow so far, mostly because they all still have such low expectations when it comes to my work. Mostly I get condescending (and figurative) pats on the head when I do something right. I've also been interrupted several times by someone telling me what to do or what I don't know, when if they'd let me finish the sentence I was 75% through, they'd have realized there was no need to interrupt me. But I guess it's more about them feeling like they have a purpose and mad smarts 'n skillz than about being efficient and friendly. Le sigh.

Fortunately, I only let this stuff get under my skin long enough to post about it here, and meanwhile I'm quietly changing the system for the better. I plan to become so efficient that I'll have free time to dabble in the other dark arts of production: writing, shooting, and more advanced post-production stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, if you want to see what a day in the life looks like (sorta), email me and I'll send you the keyword you need to find a "behind the scenes at the office" video on YouTube. One of the writers made it on his own in an attempt at...viral marketing, I guess?

I'm in it a couple times, but of course it was filmed at the end of my first two weeks of sleepless nights, not to mention during the most boring of my duties. [These and other qualifications also available via email.]

If you look closely, you can make out a lot of the things I've already talked about: the soundproofing material on the walls; my Competition looking on as I play Police Trainer; the tape library I helped organize on my first day; even the table of Emmys that intimidated me the first time I walked in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Joe!!!!!! :) Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Yabba dabba doo! good for you!!

Anonymous said...

congrats...hopefully they'll lighten the lease and give you more freedom for projects