January 9, 2008

Harvard Yarn

Before I interviewed at this new job, I realized I owned only T-shirts, jeans, and one pair of black pants that have been through too many things to also subject them to an interview.

So I bought several new "outfits" with the help of an amateur fashion consultant and my confidence was restored!

Even after my interviewer commented twice, in shock, on how dressed up I was, and that I was wearing a tie.

And even after I noticed that every other editor, producer, writer - everybody - was wearing jeans and T-shirts (okay, some sweaters and hoodies, but see how that doesn't fit as nicely into the structure of my story? that's why we leave it out or put it in parentheses).

The good news is that I arrive at work wearing whatever I feel like; sometimes business casual, sometimes casual casual - usually whatever's on or near the top of the pile of clothes at the end of my bed.

Today, the topmost article happened to be my Harvard t-shirt, so I put it on, completely unaware that such an act is a cardinal sin at this particular office.

Those who didn't outright challenge me for being so audacious stared at length at the bold lettering and school motto as they walked past.

Even after I explained to an alumnus-of-Yale writer that I had only just visited, just once, he referred to me and Harvard's sports club as "you guys," as in the spitefully (and actually) delivered remark, "Well, at least you can say you guys beat us 6 out of the last 7 years." Another writer told me she was only upset because she had kids that had applied to and graduated from college. I couldn't tell how that was relevant, but the point is these people freakin' hate Harvard. I think somebody even called me Harvard! Somebody else even leapt to my defense, telling mother-of-children, "It's alright, he didn't go to Harvard."

So in sum:
Worry about what to wear: overspend and overdress
Don't worry about what to wear: become social pariah

I'll go with not worrying, that's just how I roll. Although I think I will shelve the Harvard shirt, at least until I need to stage some sort of silent office-wide protest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sleep think is caused but two things:
A. you are a natural night owl
B. You have years of late nights
ok may be 3 things....
C. your mind is still rebelling to the fact that most of our adult lives are spent working and sleeping.
Try cranking back the bed time 15 minutes each week and in about 2 months the sleep depravation will disapear! This is sound but poorly spelled advice!

Anonymous said...

I work near Stanfurd so when customers find out I'm Cal alum..dun dun dun.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the new birthday togs we sent you will expel you from the Yale-Harvard debate, and plunge you into the Harley-Rice Rocket arena (and maybe even an East Coast-West Coast controversy). Good Luck and Happy Birthday, kid! I'll be out ridin' the Road King (aka: your inheritance)while it's still dry and kinda warm.