June 26, 2009

Attempting the Possible


I've decided to hike the Appalachian Trail, from Maine to Georgia.

As someone who rarely gets excited about...well, anything, it's refreshing to have something concrete to look forward to.

Of course, shopping for gear and gadgets is fun, as is learning about the physical demands that will likely destroy my earthly form (hopefully only to rebuild it, stronger). Logistics, planning, and the like, also all well and good. And though I love the out-of-doors, independence, and random acts of adventure, I think what I most look forward to is putting myself to the (extreme) test in two related areas in which I constantly find myself lacking - perseverance and commitment.

I'm interested to see whether I can stick it out when things are no longer exciting, interesting, or new. In the words of someone's taunting reality check: "Will you still be inspired after every view starts to look the same and the Trail seems like an endless green tunnel?" As someone who has taken up and abandoned, and even taken up again, more hobbies, obsessions, distractions, and occupations than I care to remember, I have absolutely no idea.

As far as commitment? Five to six months (or more) of living out of a backpack, even with regular shelters and stay-overs in towns along the way, is something that I think, if I could really wrap my head around, would stop me dead in my tracks. So this is the one aspect of the journey that I'll leave in the realm of blissful ignorance for as long as I can.

Anyway, when it comes down to it, and that blood clot hits my brain or that meteor hits the earth or, y'know, whatever...
I'd rather be under a tree than at a desk.

10 comments:

jenblue said...

back to dormancy.

chu said...

joe, i applaud you for taking the step to do it. be safe and hopefully you'll be going with company; that makes a world of a difference too

Bonnie said...

jeez joe, you're always doing something different i'll give you that.

just be safe and prepare yourself, bring lots of essentials and be super safe!!!!!!!!!!

chu said...

i meant "good" company...

Mom, Ann and even Ella May says "Take it slow, Joe." said...

Hmmm.. about how many miles are rated 10? Do we even want to know?

"1=Flat

5=Strenuous ups and downs, only occasional flat sections

10=Use of hands required, footing precarious — not recommended for those with fear of heights and not in good physical condition."

Ann wants to know...how many pounds of trail mix can you carry.

Gina said...

my life would be easier if I hadn't read this post....lucky you!! hmm, someday I'm gonna do that too.

hope you won't find bears, mountain lions or rattles on the way! and that someone--a HUMAN is going with you. be sure to bring back some pictures!

when are you leaving? safe travels!!

p.s. please religiously comment on mine too so I know you finally saw them. ;)

bonnie said...

when do you plan on going anyway??

joeadultman said...

as soon as i can, still getting gear together. hopefully mid july

Nonie said...

Oh,dear God! You sound like Henry Thoreau!
Will you be careful? I will be holding my breath.
Think about it!
Love you,
Nonie

Gina said...

I enjoyed reading ALL of those.. ;)