September 30, 2008

Smelly Books for Sale!

This place had a book fair the other day, only $1 a book.
But wait, that's not all!
Get there in the last hour, like I did, and you can get as many books as fit in a box for just $5!

Combing random piles of books to determine whether they are worth a dollar is a rigorous mental process. "Might someone else benefit from reading this? Do I need the extra clutter? Will I actually read this?"

But when volunteers begin barking "$5 a box," the criteria slacken a hair:
"Will this fit in the box? Does it have words and/or pictures on the pages? When the End Times come, how long will this burn, providing me warmth and light?"

When all was said and done, I think finding the Bridge to Terabithia was worth the $5. But I'm all set if I ever decide to visit Atlanta, Sicily, or Thailand, refinish some furniture, or need inspirational quotes for teachers or lawyers. Or if I can't sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent.
now you can go forth and inspire some teachers and lawyers..
in ATL, Italy, and Bangkok.

Anonymous said...

That old ploy of all you can stuff into a bag or box triggers some sort of hoarding instinct in all of us! Happy reading.

Anonymous said...

Please! You must have finished the book by now.

bakingkitty said...

that sounds like so much fun!